Dr. Catharine Macfarlane, Woman’s Med Class of 1898, established one of the first uterine cancer screening programs in the nation and was a co-founder of the Cancer Control Research Project at Woman’s Med. She was also the first woman Fellow of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
Photograph of Macfarlane, undated.
In this 1932 letter, the clerk at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia dutifully amended the salutation to the College’s first woman Fellow.
Macfarlane was the Philadelphia magazine Philadelphian of the Month in December 1948, with a profile detailing her acclaimed Cancer Clinic.